Hey Friends!! I want to thank you all for the Birthday Wishes if you already sent me a message, Facebook post, email or what have you. I feel so thankful for you, my blog, my family, friends, and life. I always track back on my Birthday to the past year and look to see where I am and what has really taken place over the past year. It seems as I get older, the days, weeks and months simply mesh together and its easy to forget about simple things. I take every Birthday to reflect and see if I really have grown or if I am the same person. Of course, we all change a bit, but I always find it interesting to see what I have picked up each year. Here goes my list of 15 things I have learned. ENJOY!
1) If you are unhappy with where you are. Do something about it. This year was pretty transformational for me in terms of work life. I was forced to make some decisions that I knew would benefit me and my career in the long term, but during this time when I was making these decisions, it was extremely challenging. I have always lived life by going with my gut. I have learned that sometimes rash decisions are not the best, and the most important decisions take time. I weighed my options and knew that for me to grow professionally and remain content while LOVING what I am doing, I needed to embrace change. To say I was scared would be an understatement. I left behind my amazing clients, some of whom I had been training for 2+ years. I was so grateful that a few followed me to my new location, but I knew I would be starting from the ground up. It was time to get out of my comfort zone for sure and I was so hungry and ready to tackle this challenge. I absolutely LOVE what I do. I am so thankful that I can wake up and help people feel better, move better and know that that 1 hour I spend with them during their workout may be the highlight of their day. In less than 3 months, I have managed to grow a solid business and work my tail off (hence the lack of posting as often) I was so thirsty to embrace my new place of work and immerse myself with the other trainers, my classes that I was taking for the past month and focused 100% on growing my business Yeah-you can say I have been a little selfish when it comes to work, but I knew that this was my priority in my life right now. I have passed my first test to bump me up and happier than ever.
2) Life is Short, Eat the Key Lime Pie. Well, Key lime pie is my favorite dessert so this is what I will use as the example. There was a time in my life I never touched anything that was ‘bad’ and yes, I also labeled food this way. I would look at that cookie or cupcake or piece of bread in awe and ‘wish’ that I could have it. I remember my family always saying, “uhhh, so have it” and my response was a chuckle AKA “of course not!” wow. I am even ashamed to admit this now. After my surgery, I truly realized how grateful I was to have my health. I was taken home in a wheelchair as I watched those still staying in their hospital beds, moving nowhere anytime soon. Balance and health is the most important thing to me and I have taken this into focus big time over this past year. Pass up events for the gym? No way jose. Of course, I always pick and choose my battles. I am not saying I’m over here stuffing my face with Ben and Jerry’s every night, but when I truly want something, I eat it-guilt free. There are more serious issues in the world-seriously. Eat the piece of bread and while your at it-stick a piece of cheese on there!
3) Be Proud of your Change. I have learned to be proud of myself more. I work my tail off and know that I am the only one who can dictate and change my thoughts, attitude and decisions. When someone is surprised on how much you have changed, I don’t see this as a bad thing at all. I have learned to be proud of my growth.
4) Don’t feel sorry for yourself when everyone else is getting engaged and having babies This seems to be the time in my life where I can’t open my Facebook Newsfeed or any other social media platform without seeing someone else getting engaged, married or pregnant-and most of them are younger than me. It came to a point where I would feel really sorry for myself. Why wasn’t I engaged and why was my camper who is 4 years younger than me already married? What was I doing wrong and will it ever happen for me. Screw this talk. My life is pretty damn good and I have no interest in marriage at this moment anyway. When the time is right, it will be right and I will embrace and be so ready for it. I am so happy for those who have babies and beautiful engagement rings, so looking at the pictures and hearing the news is nothing but happiness for these people rather than disdain
5) Dating is….Interesting. Well, over this past year, I have had some amusing interactions to say the least. I have met some pretty incredible people and I have also met some pretty low life men who think they can get away with pretty much….anything. Dating in and of itself is strange. Meet someone for a drink or coffee and see if there is chemistry. You hope they are cute and you hope they meet your expectations and then you meet them and all you want to do is run into a black hole. For two people to meet and have that ‘can’t eat, can’t sleep, can’t live without you’ type chemistry–takes work. Serious work. I have turned down men and I have been turned down as well. I have had men treat me like crap and also have had men send me flowers at work. It’s a game and I have learned to go into everything with a positive attitude. Being open is a huge part of the game and just because you ‘don’t like their jeans’ this is not a reason to throw someone out the window. I could write a whole blog on some of the interactions I have had, but I will spare you the fun stories May this year bring about fun and happiness!
6) Do it If you Want to. Who is judging you? Last September, I was bored with my hair, so I chopped it off. I had a fun run with the short bob, but honestly? I miss my long hair. A WHOLE lot. I went for it and got myself a birthday present. Hello extensions.
7) Workout With Friends: This past year I have definitely made an effort to try new things when it comes to physical activity. I have finally found a balance in my workout routine and have realized that I love having a workout buddy. I used to be a total solo gym go-er and yes, I still love working out on my own, but I have a balance between that and working out with a buddy!
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/2ci_nu0SxNo” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
8) My family means the world to me. Ok, so this is something that I haven’t realized this year, but every year it amazes me how incredible they are. I am so lucky to have a support system that will always be there for me no matter what. It makes me so happy to know I can pick up the phone at any time of day and they will be there.
9) If it doesn’t make you happy don’t do it. Why do something that makes you miserable. Why be with people who bring negativity? I will never understand people who put themselves in this position and then complain about it. Do things that bring you HIGHER. Make you HAPPY. Add variety and be open to everything!
10) Good Friends are Hard to Find and when you find them. Keep them close. Having good friends is a necessity to me-like peanut butter and Channing Tatum. I just need friends in my life. I am not in anyway what you would call a people collector-you know those people who you meet and they want to hang out with you but they’re just ‘omg sooo busy’ that they can only squeeze you in at 4pm on a Friday because they have better things to do when 7pm rolls around. Yeah-that’s not me. I focus on the quality of my friendships with the gals in my life. I have found that most things in life are temporary but good friends will always be there, especially when you need them the most. I love my friends and so grateful for them
11) It’s okay to watch happy videos on YouTube for an hour. Guys-we spend most of our days working and I realized the other day that I spend more time with the people I work with and at work more than anyone else in my life-its the truth. Sometimes I get home after a 12 hour day and just want to watch some funny videos that have nothing to do with work or life. I want to laugh and watch other people be silly. I’m okay with it. Oh and here you go…You’re welcome
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/VrAcV2ywnqc” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
12) Its okay to feel like crap one day and like a million bucks the next Guys- we all have good and bad days. You know, those days you wake up, look in the mirror and think “damnnn, I look good” then there are those days where you get out of bed and all you want to do is cry. Those days may even be back to back. Its weird, right? Well, I have come to accept that crap happens and I may not feel 100% every single day. If I want to cry, I cry. If I feel amazing, then I will feel AAAAMMMAAZINNGGG. We are not perfect people-we are humans and it’s okay to feel emotions without hiding them all of the time.
13) Put Down My Phone: We’re so caught up in trying to do everything, experience all the essential things, stay updated on everyone else lives through social media and email etc. We can easily forget that we just can’t do it all-in fact, trying to do it all may drive us crazy! It’s okay to miss out. I have realized that staying up an extra half hour at night to see what’s happening on Instagram or Facebook will not change my life. I have learned to just shut down and relax. I do not have to respond to every single email or call right away. I can wait-especially if it is not something I need to get done right that instant. I always want to be part of the fun stuff–try new restaurants, go to the newest show, be out and about-but I have realized a little secret: life is better when I don’t try to do everything. When I am doing what I am doing, I enjoy the moment. Someones status update about their new car will not change my life.
14) Spend Time With other Professionals In Your Field I, in no way know everything, in fact I am learning something new every single day. There is no better feeling than spending time with a superior who is as passionate about what they do and learning from them, how they came to be where they are, what their focus is, why they do what they do. I have been amazed at some of the conversations that have motivated me to change a certain style or cue differently, or simply try something new! I have spoken to not only other trainers at my facility, but strength coaches, TRX instructors, Dragon Door Leaders, Pure Barre instructors, Flywheel Spinning instructors, Yoga instructors… you name it-I have learned something from every single one of those people I have had conversations with. Just because they are not doing ‘exactly what I am doing’ I still love to hear how they go about their personal business and what brought them to where they are today. I am so lucky to be in Boston where the Health and Fitness is so Prevalent everywhere I go. That feeling of being around so many other hard working, passionate leaders everyday is truly inspiring.
15) Spend money on things that matter to me. Money is a funny thing. Everyone wants more of it, but sometimes we look at the way others spend their money and want to pull our hair out. Bottom line-the way we each spend our money is our call. I personally know that I spend my money toward things I need and a couple bucks on things that I want. In addition to putting a hefty amount of my money in savings, there are some categories that I will never skimp out on, for instance-shampoo and face products. I spend a butt load on these items but I would rather buy higher quality products on these items. Another one would be workout sneakers–not that I buy the most expensive pair BUT I but a lot of sneakers and that’s okay because I am on my feet in them about 13 hours a day. **ahem** insert same goes for Lululemon. At this point in my life, I have no need for a car so I could never understand someone who spends big money taking care of theirs. As times change, I know my money will used towards other important people, places or things, but right now, I choose how to spend it on what matters most